A random glucose test measures the level of sugar or glucose circulating through the body via your blood. The random blood sugar normal range is between 100 and 140 mg/dL. A random glucose test is performed to check if your blood glucose falls within this normal range. Though other tests may be required to reach a complete diagnosis, random glucose testing helps your doctor decide if more testing is needed.
Random Glucose Test measures your blood glucose levels at different points during the day. A number of tests for the diagnosis of diabetes are carried out when you are fasting or require continuous monitoring. However, this test does not require any extra measures. This test is most suited for people who require a quick diagnosis, such as people with type 1 diabetes who need supplementary insulin urgently. For this, the random blood sugar normal range is between 100 and 140 mg/dL.
A result under 100 mg/dL means that the body is overproducing insulin. In contrast, a result of about 140 mg/dL indicates that the body is not producing enough insulin, and the patient may have diabetes.
Glucose is a type of sugar that exists in your blood. It is the primary source of energy for your body and fuels the functioning of each and every cell. It also supports the healthy functioning of the muscles, heart, and brain. We get glucose from the drinks and food we consume. Our body breaks down the stored carbohydrate reserves and converts them into glucose.
Our body works continually to maintain optimum blood glucose levels and produces insulin to ensure this, which helps the glucose reach the cells that require it. A person having type 1 diabetes fails to produce insulin in their body. On the other hand, a person with type 2 diabetes either doesn’t produce enough insulin or does not respond to it as required. When this happens, glucose accumulates in the blood, leading to numerous adverse effects.
Random glucose testing helps you check the amount of glucose in your blood. This test may be performed at any time during the day. If the test shows that your blood glucose level is higher than the random blood sugar normal range, your doctor will most likely order certain follow-up tests. These may include:
- Fasting Blood Glucose Test: This test helps measure the glucose level in the blood after fasting for a minimum of 8 hours. This test is usually done first thing in the morning before having breakfast.
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test: If our doctor suggests that you have diabetes, but your test shows random blood sugar normal range on random or fasting glucose tests, they may recommend you go for OGTT. This test also requires 8-hour fasting. After this fasting period, an initial blood sample is taken. Then you will be given liquid glucose to drink. More blood samples are taken over the next 2 hours to see the changes.
Random blood sugar test may be included as part of your panel of tests during annual health checkups. Your doctor may also want to screen you for high blood sugar if you are at high risk of getting diabetes. The common risk factors associated with diabetes include:
- Being above the age of 45 years
- Being obese or overweight
- Living with heart disease, high cholesterol, or high blood pressure
- Living with prediabetes
- Lack of physical activity
- Family history of diabetes
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
If one is pregnant, the doctor may recommend random glucose testing to check for gestational diabetes. This is a kind of diabetes that is often seen among pregnant women due to rapid hormonal changes. Gestational diabetes can be quite harmful to the mother and the foetus if not diagnosed and treated promptly.
Your doctor may also recommend glucose testing if you have been experiencing symptoms such as:
- Frequent urination
- Blurred vision
- Excessive thirst or hunger
- Loss of sensation or tingling sensation in the feet or hands
- Unexplained weight loss
- An abnormal number of infections
- Extremely dry skin
- Sores that fail to heal timely
- Feeling extremely exhausted
Besides this, the buy hemp wraps doctor may also recommend glucose testing if you experience symptoms associated with low blood sugar or other health issues.
If you have been facing issues with your blood sugar levels, here are some sugar free foods you can consume to maintain healthy levels of blood sugar.
- Types of Bread: You can consume whole wheat bread, rice, rye, pumpernickel, and other bread made with ancient grains like einkorn and emmer.
- Fruits: Some of the best fruits to consume if one is living with diabetes include apples, avocados, grapefruit, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, grapes, raspberries, plums, strawberries, and apricots.
- Yams & Sweet Potatoes: Yams and sweet potatoes are sugar free, have a low GI and are highly nutritious. Sweet potato flesh contains even more fibre than its skin and lowers some diabetes markers. Though not enough research has been evident to conclude that sweet potatoes can lower or stabilise blood sugar levels, they are definitely nutritious with a low GI score.
- Oatmeal: Oats also have a low GI score and contain β-glucan, which is said to improve insulin sensitivity, reduce blood lipids, help maintain glycemic control, and reduce insulin and glucose responses after meals.
By eating buy thc-o the right foods and changing your lifestyle habits, you can successfully control your random blood sugar normal range. If you are experiencing any issues, a random blood sugar test will help you check your current levels and get help in case you need it.