The eCommerce industry is booming. It is a force that no investor can afford to ignore. Today, eCommerce has dramatically changed the way brands reach their customers. It makes it easier and faster for consumers to make purchases while eliminating the hassle of going to the store. That is why more and more people are shifting to eCommerce to expand their businesses.
When we think of eCommerce, we think of the availability of physical products online. However, eCommerce is more than just selling physical products online. You can also sell digital goods online. While many people often experience a dilemma about whether they should sell digital products or physical ones.
If you are struggling with the same, it is vital to understand the difference between physical and digital products. So, to help you make an informed decision, we will share the pros and cons of selling physical and digital products online.
Physical Products V/S Digital Products
Physical products are tangible and can be touched and felt. These products are usually stored in warehouses and shipped to the consumer via third-party suppliers or courier companies to their respective addresses. It includes clothes, shoes, electronic gadgets, fashion accessories, cosmetics, toys, home appliances, etc.
On the other hand, digital products are virtual products that you can access digitally. Usually, digital products are stored, delivered, and used in their electronic format and shipped electronically to the consumer via email, or merchants can sell the digital downloads online. It includes eBooks, software, online music and video, PDFs, online training and tutorial courses, etc.
What are the pros of selling physical products and digital products?
- Easily demonstrable: Since you can touch physical products, it is easier to demonstrate them to your customers. As a result, customers can easily identify the quality of the products and decide whether it is worth it to invest in the physical products or not.
- Straightforward transactions: Since all you need is a physical product to sell online, you need not give any explanation and worry about whether the product will work correctly when it arrives. Hence, it makes it easier to buy and sell physical products and make transactions. Moreover, physical products are higher in value as the customers can resell their goods to others.
- Create unique products: Like digital products, physical products can’t be duplicated. In order to create a replica of a physical product, it needs the same resources. Hence, customers will always get unique products. In addition, you can sell your products at a higher margin, as the price of the product includes the cost of shipping and handling. Visit: Website
- Instant free delivery: Unlike physical products, digital products don’t require any shipping services. So, there will be no shipping charges that make the price of your products high. Moreover, merchants can get their payment instantly once the user downloads and accesses your digital product or services.
- Low cost: Since digital products do not need any warehouses to store them, it reduces the overall expenses. Moreover, you need not spend any money on packaging, allowing you to sell your digital products worldwide without any shipping charges.
- No inventory: Keeping track of your items is not easy. However, in the case of digital products, you don’t need to worry about inventory. Moreover, there are no chances of getting the goods wasted or damaged.
- Easy to scale: The biggest advantage of selling digital goods online is that you can easily reach more potential customers globally and scale your business with ease.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know the benefits of selling physical and digital goods online, we hope you can now decide whether you should sell physical products or digital goods. But, no matter what option you choose, you need an eCommerce store. So, you can either develop an eCommerce store or integrate plug-ins into your existing website. If you are wondering how to sell digital downloads online via your current website, get in touch with Shoprocket.